STARTNOW preparing for your future…do not wait until graduation!
STARTNOW (Student Training in Agricultural Research Techniques by Novel Education Workshops) is a USDA funded project with the mission of provides opportunities for underrepresented undergraduate students of the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus to maximize the educational and professional knowledge and achievements through workshops and summer internship experiences in Soil, Plant and Environmental Sciences. The internships and other related activities will strengthen student participation and provide them with tools to pursue careers in Soil, Plant and Environmental Sciences.
- Eight-week paid summer internships
Research-based summer internship with UPR-Mayagüez, College of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty or equivalent
Professional-based summer internship with an USDA agency or equivalent
- A two-week summer Soil, Plant and Environmental Science “Boot Camp” in Soltis Center for Research and Education, Costa Rica http://soltiscentercostarica.tamu.edu/ (for those in the summer Research-based experience)
- Group participation in faculty-coordinated career-enhancing professional and academic workshops throughout the academic year
- Group training for professional certifications in Crop and Soil Sciences https://soils.org/certifications/become-certified
- Each summer, one student will form part of an International Soils Judging competition team
STARTNOW application for Summer 2020 Internship is OPEN NOW!